My hope

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Milestones

Yup, another post for today. I'm a little behind...

I guess Quentin decided that since his brother and sister had their milestones of starting Kindergarten and 5th grade, that he need to hit a milestone of his own. He started cereal today!!

I exclusively nurse him, but here for the past week, that has not seemed to fill him up and keep him happy for long, so the DR said it would be a good idea to go ahead and start some rice cereal.

I ventured out to Wal-Mart (god-forsaken place) and bought some bowls, spoons, and organic brown rice. As soon as I got home, I made some up with some breast milk, and got him all set up in his seat, and was taken by surprise. He took right to that spoon!

For most infants, the spoon has to actually be put in their mouth, and given time to get used to it...not this little guy!! He opened his mouth all on his own and ate that cereal right off the spoon like he had been doing this his whole life! I couldn't believe it! He ate an entire 2 TBsp (for those of you that don't know, that is quite a lot for a first timer). And I couldn't get it in his mouth quick enough. He would fuss at me if I took to long between bites. He really likes it!!

For this I am happy, but again, it's bittersweet. It is just another sign that my baby; my true, last baby is growing up on me. What is a mommy to do??

How do I get my head and my heart on the same page with this? How do I get my heart to be ok with my children growing up?

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I have witnessed this myself, that boy pretty much feeds himself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, yes he does!!! If we hold the spoon in front of him, he holds his mouth open and wines at us til we give it to him! Lol. It's so darn cute.

    ReplyDelete